1 . Beat the year record of 246 species for Jackson County (BIG ONE)- Canceled officially.
2. SEE a Cerulean Warbler
3. Find Yellow Ladies’ Slipper Orchids in bloom, any of the three species in IL.
4. Find three of the following snakes: Eastern Massasauga, Milk Snake, Kirtland’s Snake, Worm Snake, Fox Snake, Smooth Green Snake, Shawnee Kingsnake, Queen Snake, Flathead Snake, Coachwhip, Pygmy Rattlesnake, Plains Garter Snake, and/or Smooth Earth Snake
5. Find five of the following birds: Harlequin Duck, Brant, Eared Grebe, Swallow-tailed Kite, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Barn Owl, Yellow-crowned Night Heron, American Bittern, Ferruginous Hawk, Greater Prairie-chicken, Piping Plover, Snowy Plover, Ruddy Turnstone, Whimbrel, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Chuck- Will’s-Widow, Northern Shrike, Mountain Bluebird, Smith’s Longspur, Alder Flycatcher, Olive-sided Flycatcher (IL only), Fork-tailed Flycatcher, Cerulean Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Golden-winged Warbler, Canada Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Clay-colored Sparrow, White-winged Crossbill, Monk Parakeet, and/or Evening Grosbeak.
6. Visit Montrose Point- THIS WILL HAPPEN!!!
7. Buy a complete set of Mohlenbrock’s “Vascular Flora of Illinois” and find fifty species of plants new to me in Illinois.
8. Find three of the following amphibians: Illinois Chorus Frog, Northern Crawfish Frog, Eastern Narrowmouth Toad, Wood Frog, Eastern Spadefoot Toad, Eastern Tiger Salamander, Ringed Salamander, Mole Salamander, Blue-spotted Salamander, Four-toed Salamander, Lesser Siren, Common Mudpuppy, and/or Dusky Salamander.
Goals completed for 2017:
- (Find Yellow Lady’s Slipper Orchids! ) NOPE.
2. (See five of the following birds): YEP! Bolded birds were seen, struck-through birds are birds on my list that were not seen. Long-tailed Duck, Golden Eagle, Mississippi Kite, (either) [Least] Bittern, Tundra Swan, Red-throated Loon, Western Grebe, Black Scoter,
Yellow-crowned Night Heron, Greater Prairie-chicken, Dunlin, Whimbrel, Willet, Wilson’s Snipe, Piping Plover, Snowy Plover, Upland Sandpiper, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Western Sandpiper, Barn Owl, Long-eared Owl, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Snowy Owl, Nelson’s Sparrow, Snow Bunting, Lapland Longspur, (both) Cuckoos, (any) [Virginia] Rail, Northern or Loggerhead Shrike, Marsh Wren, Orchard Oriole, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Cerulean Warbler, Kentucky Warbler, Canada Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Bell’s Vireo, Pine Siskin, (any)[Red] Crossbill, and/or Evening Grosbeak.
3. (Find two of the following reptiles:) YEP!
Ornate Box Turtle, Blanding’s Turtle, Spotted Turtle, Slender Glass Lizard, Bullsnake, Rough Green Snake, Smooth Green Snake, Western and/or Eastern Hognose Snake, Milksnake, Fox Snake, Lined Snake, Smooth Earth Snake, Coachwhip, and/or Plains Garter Snake.
4. (Find three of the following amphibians:) YEP!
Tiger Salamander, Marbled Salamander, Slimy Salamander, Silvery Salamander, Cave Salamander, Longtail Salamander, Two-lined Salamander, Spadefoot Toad, Eastern Red-backed Salamander, Narrowmouth Toad, Green Treefrog, Bird-voiced Tree Frog, Wood Frog, and/or Illinois Chorus Frog.
5. (Find a venomous snake in Illinois, of any kind.) YEP! Copperhead, Cottonmouth AND Timber Rattlesnake, all within about a mile or two of each other, actually.
6. (Find a Kirtland’s Snake) NOPE.
7. (Visit four new (to me) state parks and/or nature preserves) YEP!
8. (Revisit Fults Hill Prairie and find a Scorpion, [four herp species excised due to specific location] Splendid Tiger Beetle or just something that’s rare that lives there.) YEP… the beetle.
9. (Visit Montrose Point) NOPE.
10. (Visit the Ozarks) YEP!
11. (Visit Snake Road) YEP!!!
12. (See a live, wild skunk, bear, or badger) NOPE.
13. (Find a Snowy Egret in IL) YEP!!!
14. (Find at least three of the following plants:) YEP!
Bird’s Eye Primrose, Poke Milkweed, Wild Agave, Bunchflower, (any) Turtlehead, Kalm’s Lobelia, Obe-Wan Conobea, Lance-leaved Violet, Powdery Thalia, (either) Boltonia, Cancer Root, (any) Orobanche, Prairie Trout-Lily, (either) Ginseng, French’s Shooting Star, Showy Orchis, Indian Pink, Snow Trillium, Bird’s Foot Violet, Turk’s Cap Lily, (any) Twayblade, Pitcher’s Leather Flower, (either) Camassia, French Grass, Violet Wood Sorrel, Missouri Coneflower, Royal Catchfly, (any) Spiranthes, (any native in Illinois) Rhododendron, Filmy Fern, Matalea, Heart-leaved Plaintain, Pink Corydalis, (any) Sabatia, Ozark Milkvetch, Blue Hearts, Lobed Spleenwort, Walking Fern, Fameflower, (any in Illinois) clubmosses, Green Trillium, American Chestnut, Water Tupelo.
15. (Find at least one of any Platanthera orchid species) YEP!
16. (Find at least one Coralroot Orchid) YEP!!
17. (Have fun!) YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!